PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Food Variety for a 3yr. old Reply To: Food Variety for a 3yr. old

angelalewis

I wish I could help. I have a 3 year old, also, that I just adopted from Russia. Feeding her has been a challenge. Our food has much stronger flavors than Russian food. She likes french fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, applesauce,bananas, no vegetables but will eat vegetarian vegetable soup, and most of all, fruit snacks! We had a difficult time getting her to take the formula since they were all flavored. We finally found an unflavored one and mix it with applesause or flavor it with banana flavoring. She lived off low pro bread that I baked when she first came home as that was a strict no no in Russia. She was thrilled that she could eat all the bread she wanted! I introduce new foods to her by literally forcing a small taste in her mouth. She will not try new things on her own. If I can get a small dab on her tongue, she usually will like it. I have a 17 year old with a urea cycle disorder that is managed partly through low protein diet. Variety for him is also challenging. He likes to add different seasonings or dressings to the pastas or make up recipes to add a little variety. Just some suggestions. Hope something will work.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional