PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com what happens at school? Reply To: what happens at school?

BreaMarie91

I was homeschooled until 4th grade (That had nothing to do with PKU because my non PKU siblings were homeschool the same time too) but by the time I started school I knew what I could and couldn’t have. On the other hand my sister Erica started school from Kindergarten and there has been tiny problems but not to big. Once her teacher accidentally gave her a cupcake and of course she was only 5 so she didn’t know better but it wasn’t a huge deal my mom just arranged the rest of my sisters food for the day so the phes would even out.
Their are so many options for what to eat when you get in school when I was in 4th grade I just brought a cold lunch. Then in 5th and 6th grade I took hot lunchs and just doubled the servings of fruits and veggies and on days when there wasn’t enough fruits and veggies I brought a cold lunch. Then in 7th and 8th grade my school prepared low pro lunchs for me. When everyone had cheese sandwichs I had low pro cheese sandwiches. The same with things like pizza and stuff. Then when I started highschool last year I just didn’t want to have to worry about when I was having hot lunch and stuff so now I just take cold lunchs and sometimes I take the salad bar at school. My little sister is and has always had the school prepare her low pro food and sometimes she’ll bring cold lunchs. Also for my sister, because she is younger, my mom keeps in good contact with her teacher. She has the teacher write everyday in a note if she gave Erica anything extra like a snack from her snack bag.
Also for when kids brought treats and stuff in for birthdays or holidays my mom created a bag full of snacks that my teacher kept and when a kid brought a snack I would pick a low phe snack from my bag. My sister still does that but when I entered 7th grade it wasnt’ a big deal to me anymore so we stopped. I hope that basically answered your question nBreanna

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional