PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! Looking For Pku Teen Friends Reply To: Looking For Pku Teen Friends

GaBBie1088

The first time I met with my dietition after I turned 18, he met with me and it was a serious meeting. It is kind of cool though because we get to go into a different room now and they can only tell my mom what I say they can tell her. So since I had really high levels, he asked me if I wanted to just quit the diet because it was my choice. I have wanted that choice my whole life but when it was offered to me I had to turn it down. It was wierd. not because I dont like most of the other foods, i do, I love ham and cheese, it was just wierd. I couldn’t go off the diet. and now I am happy i chose that because my levels are back down, we got new really good food at wal mart that we can have and now i dont have to worry as much about when I want to get pregnant. But I love being able to tell my doctor what TRULY goes on at school and social events and having her trust (by law) to not tell my mother.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional