PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU maternal pku Reply To: maternal pku

smorff

Hi I am a 35 year old mother with classic PKU and I have a 14 year old daughter name Kristen she is pku free. When I was pregnant I did not tell my DR. and I went my whole term almost with her she was born c-section I had lost all of my fluid around her so they took her at 39 weeks. Kristen is doing well but she has health problems from being born to a mother with pku.
Kristen was very lucky when born my levels were 11 so for her 22 the dr. say levels 5 to 10 are ok . Kristen is mild mr, has a muscle not develop in her right hand and she was born with spinal stinois ( dont know if spelled right) of the neck so she can not get hit in the head or fall and hit her head or she will be in a wheelchair but on the other hand she will get older and and still have the same outcome. As she gets older she will be in a chair..
If you would like to have a child there is alot to think about but I can say that even though she is special I love her very much and I will do what ever it takes to make her happy and to enjoy LIFE to me she is a blessing to everyone who know these special children who are born or who go to live with God..
Good Luck I hope this helps I hope to hear from you
nnSmorff

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional