PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU maternal pku Reply To: maternal pku

greyrose97

I have PKU and i now have 2 healthy children. one is 3 the other is 1. i hadn’t been on diet since i was 8 then i got pregnant registered myself into a high risk pre-natal clinic where they monitored me closely i also found myself a dietition which specializes in PKU. i went onto diet when i was about 5-6 weeks pregnant and yes by the end of my pregnancies my dietition told me that i needed to eat hamburgers and hotdogs to get some weight onto the babies……needless to say that i had my first baby early, by four weeks, my fluids were low. she was only 4 1/2 lbs at birth, and 18 inches long…..now she is getting ready to turn 4 she is 3 1/2 feet tall and weighs 35-38 lbs…after having her i fell off diet again. and did the same again. 6 weeks pregnant got back on diet again. my son was almost a week late. he was 71/2 lbs and 18-19 inches long……my drink of choice was maximum xp(orange flavored) and instead of counting phe’s i counted protien in-take and it worked…..my children do not have pku they just carry the gene, they are completely healthy…sent blood samples in every week.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional