PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Freaking out Reply To: Freaking out

KristiKon

Thanks for your message. To answer your questions, we live in the US (in Florida), she is my 2nd child (I have a 2 yr. old daughter), and she has classic PKU. I found out that the special formula that she will be on for life is free in the state of Florida. That’s like the only good news I’ve had this week! I don’t know about any of the special foods though, but I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. People (meaning friends and relatives) keep asking me all kinds of questions that I don’t know yet and it’s kind of frustrating. I’m hoping to learn as much as possible so that I won’t be so scared about everything. I don’t even really know what she will be able to eat when she’s older other than fruits and vegetables. I just know that there’s a long list of stuff that she CAN’T have. I know I shouldn’t even worry about that yet and should just take a deep breath and take it one day at a time. It’s just hard to relax right now, ya know?

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional