PKU.com Community Discussion Forum What’s the Phe? Mom needs suport and answers Reply To: Mom needs suport and answers

BreaMarie91

Although Brandi is right, you probably should go and start getting help, you also should try to take sometime to calm yourself and realize that everything will be okay! I’ve talked to my Geneticist, Genetic counselor and Dietitian alot about things like this (as I want to be a medical Geneticist someday) and from what they said serious damage doesn’t begin until about 6 months of age. That doesn’t mean at all that being on the diet isn’t important until 6 months because it is very improtant don’t get me wrong! I’m just saying don’t panic, I have met a women who was not diagnosed until about 13 months I think and as a child she was suffering but to this day she is doing wonderful! I have also met others who were diagnosed later then 8 weeks (mainly adults) and until they told me that they were late diagnosed I had no idea.
Just make sure you get the help for your baby that you need, and try to keep in mind that no matter what happens everything will work out in the end. Also, you getting support is a wonderful thing to do! Sometimes when people are confused and scared the best cure is getting support and help because sometimes you just don’t know how to handle things on your own! Just support your baby while growing up and make sure to empasize how important the PKU diet is and things will fall into place. nBreanna n15 w/CPKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional