PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! i hate being pku Reply To: i hate being pku

mayrogers13

I used to hate having PKU until I realized there is so much worse things that you can have. I know it’s a horrible way to think about it but it’s true. When I was younger I used to eat so many foods I wasn’t supposed to. I know it affected me a lot and you just have to accept it’s who you are. I was teased all the time (PKU stands for poisonous kid undercover hahaha… not really funny when you’re 7)and could never eat the cake at party’s or have ice cream with my soccer team after playoffs. It was a pain in the butt but I realized it’s who I am, and was going to be for the rest of my life. Believe me your friends are more understanding than you think they are and if they aren’t let them know how you feel. Life is short so love the cards you are dealt because they’re the only ones your gonna get.
And from a girls perspective… all the annoying classmates that made fun of you are going to get fat in college while you stay nice and thin!!!!
Meaghan n18 with PKU and loving life

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional