PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Dealing with it Reply To: Dealing with it

BreaMarie91

Hi, nLike Keisha already knows I’m not a parent, but I do have PKU. Like Keisha said, try to take it one day at a time and just know that this was not and will not ever be your fault! I know that when I was younger my mom probably felt that way, but I have never once blamed her for my PKU because I know it was never her fault. I know there are so many other things that I could have been born with that could have prevented me from growing up like all my other siblings.
I won’t lie, there have been a few times when I would get upset and tell my parents that I don’t like being different. Then again, every child is going to feel like they’re different at one point or another in their life weither or not they have PKU.
PKU has actually brought so many more wonderful things into my life aswell (I know you might think I’m crazy for saying PKU is a good thing). I have met so many more people and gone to so many more places then my other siblings because of PKU related events. I probably eat alot healthier then my non PKU siblings. I think PKU has made me more compassionate and understanding towards other PKU and also if it weren’t for me having PKU I would have never had the dream to go to college and become a medical geneticist and to work in genetics.
Your baby girl will grow up to be a wonderful person if she follows her diet. I think the best thing any parent can do is just to support their child. Out of my family of seven children me and my 8-year-old sister both have PKU and my mother has been nothing but support. And just don’t make food a big deal. When I was younger and all my siblings went to spend the night at my cousins house my parents never told me I couldn’t and they never made a big deal out of my food. They just sent along what they needed to without making a fuss. In my eyes food is food, I’ve gotten past the age where I cared that I was eatting differently and as of right now I could care less if I were the most different person ever. nSorry for posting so much but I do hope this helps you. Just know that your daughter will be fine and that anytime you need to talk to me or anybody else we’re right here. nBreanna n16 w/CPKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional