PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Newbie questions Reply To: Newbie questions

Hello, I am new to this website. I am 35 years old and I have PKU. I have never met anyone else with PKU so this website is a goldmine for me. I have classical PKU and have been on my diet for my whole life. I enjoy just about all the drinks and foods that my doctor and nutritionist have to offer. I have lived in New Jersey all my life because they pay for the formula that I drink. I want to move out of New Jersey but as far as I know there is no other state that pays for my formula. My question is, for all of you that live in different states with PKU, how do you pay for your formula? Does the state you live in pay for the formula? Since I am 35 years old I need my own insurance to cover my formula and the state covers the rest. For those of you over 21 years of age with PKU living in other states how do you pay for your formula and is there any state in this country that will cover the expense of formula for those living with PKU and are over 21? It will take about a week or two for my profile to be posted so hopefully all of you will see it. Looking forward to hearing from you all and getting answers to my questions. I want to move out of New Jersey but can’t pay for my own formula its just way too expensive. Thank you all for listening to my concerns, hope to hear from you all soon. God Bless……

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional