PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support from indiana need some help please Reply To: from indiana need some help please

BreaMarie91

uswcec48,
I’m not a parent but, I thought I would give my two bits worth. Every kid, PKU or not, is going to feel different from kids at one point or another. Think back to when you were a kid. Was there a time when you couldn’t go to a party and felt different, or you couldn’t ride a bike so you felt different etc? It happens, sometimes kids feel alittle left out but they get over it because it’s a part of life. The best you can do is support her and make sure she knows there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a tiny bit different.
Alot of kids today have food allergies and even though PKU is far from that you can still point out to your daughter that some kids eat alittle bit differently to. Everyone has their own little health problems they deal with and PKU will just be what your daughter deals with.
As for everybody asking questions, I wish I could say it will stop but it never seems to end. Even now that I’m in highschool questions are still asked. The difference is now I’m the one answering the questions, not my mom, and it’s mainly friends asking. I don’t mind answering the questions because I know in most cases they’re just interested. I try to make the explaination as quick and simple as I can but so that they still get enough info. If they want to know more I just tell them to ask.
Just help your daughter learn about her diet and follow it. Along the line you probably will meet a few people who don’t take it as seriously as they should, but you can’t change them. All you can do is continue to be there for your daughter. Eventually she’ll get older and she will beable to control her diet on her own without relying on adults around her. My 8-year-old sister who has PKU is getting close to the point where she can handle the diet on her own.
Just keep your head up and remember there are alot of good things that come from PKU (Your probably saying: what?! Is she crazy?! lol ). But I defintally eat healthier then most people. I’ve met so many people, learned so many things and gone so many places that I would have never without having PKU. And there are other positive things. nSorry for writting so much, nBreanna 16 Classical PKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional