PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Blood tests Reply To: Blood tests

BreaMarie91

Kdee, for our family it takes about 3 days for the results to get it. Whether levels are done at a lab or at home you will still have to wait for the results to come in. There is mailing it in, then waiting for the lab techs to actually test the levels, then they have to call your dietitian/doctor and then your dietitian/doctor has to get back to you.
Kristi, if at all possible I would highly suggest getting the BD Genie lancets. Specifically the blue ones that are 2.0mm deep and 1.5mm wide. Like I probably mentioned before, up until I got these lancets I have been a big chicken when it comes to blood tests but now that I’ve used these lancets I don’t think I could ever use a different type. I cannot feel the poke at all (or if I can it is not at all painful) and even after my mom stops getting the blood it still comes…and I’m not a good bleeder. I’ll leave a link so you can see what they look like. https://www2.vaxserve.com/index.cfm?event=getProductDetail&product_id=1125 But also check with your clinic to be sure they don’t have any other suggestions for lancets. nBre 16 CPKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional