PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Blood tests Reply To: Blood tests

BreaMarie91

Kristi- Good luck with Ashley’s phe levels. I’m sure you will get the hang of it. That’s cool that your down to doing levels every 6 weeks, we do ours every 4 weeks.
Meaghan- You were told that finger pokes aren’t common? I find that a little strange because I know plenty of people who live in the city, country you name it and they do finger pokes at home. In fact I went to a teen maternal PKU camp this past summer and there were approx 16 girls. We had this little contest where you could do a blood test at the beginning and then end of camp to see whose levels changed the most, everybody there did finger pokes. In fact I was the only one who wasn’t able to do a finger poke on my own (it is something I’ve been working on doing since last year January). We live about 20 minutes away from our clinic, but we do levels at home because it is just easier in general. We don’t have to worry about insurance because if we did venipunctures we would have to pay for somebody to do it and I don’t have to get out of school for it. Things like that. So do you do the venipuncture instead that? Just curious. nBre 16 CPKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional