PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Starter foods (finger foods) Reply To: Starter foods (finger foods)

SammysMom

Wow… I never felt like I would EVER be the one to give PKU advice because I always feel like I’m asking for it! *L* My daughter Sammy is almost two now. She likes the gerber fruit chews. They are not chewy like normal fruit chews and they are only 2 grams of phe per packet. Sammy also ate the gerber puffs and wagon wheels. Just make sure you buy the veggie ones and not the cheese. As far as breakfast goes, we feed her 1/2 cup of fruity pebbles which is only 27grams of phe. Which is not really a finger food, but at first we were feeding it to her. We also buy manderine oranges in the little cups. You drain the juice and then she can just eat the oranges as is.
I know it’s a bit early, but they make special PKU food that you can order. One of our grocery stores here in Florida orders it for us but you can also do it online. Sammy REALLY loves the PKU cheese but it’s a little high in phe, 29 grams per slice.
Hope this helps! Let me know if you want more info, I could keep going! *L*

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional