Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU going back to diet Reply To: going back to diet

sorry, I just read your post a little better.
At my worst point, aged 18, I had been off diet for about 2 years and had no phe supplement during that time. I was living away from home in a student house in Bristol.
I suffered from terrible depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I even had problems with my balance and I would stay in the house for weeks on end. I was never diagnosed as anorexic but I reached about 7 stone and my friends and family were shocked at my appearence so much that I quit Uni in Bristol and moved back home.
I suffer from depression on and off, but since maintaining my levels I have felt like a new person.
Its scary how much high levels can affect you mentally – and when you are like that – no one will make you see sense.
Being on diet is always the best thing to do – most people go off the rails at some point, but what you need to remember is – who know what being off diet will mean to you in 20 years time? what damage could be caused?
Hope it helps, and haven’t been too serious. xxxxxxxxx

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional