PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Anyone know about Kuvan? Reply To: Anyone know about Kuvan?

My son just started Kuvan They have been given it for years in Europe It was called BH4 it was picked up by biomarion in 2004 and american trials started. In europe they were giving it to pt who had tetrabioctian (SP?)deficincies and also had pku they found that it does not help with the first but it does turn on the enzyeme that brakes phe down. So to be a responder the patient has to have some enzyemes not all pku people do it depends on the type of Pku you have Like my son has cpku but his genetic testing showed that he has a cpku gene and a mild pku gene this makes him a good canidate to be a responder. Inoreder to be a responder there has to be 30% drop in phe 1 wk after starting kuvan so far landen my son is off to a good start with a 50% reduction. It can be expensive but biomarion works with you and your insurance Biomarion also told me there are grants in place if the copays were rediculous, we are paying our max copay for scibs at 75 dollars a month not to bad.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional