PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Newbie questions Reply To: Newbie questions

jenn_harney

hey girl!! that is soooo cool you live in london. i’ve been there once and would love to go back. what an awesome city. anyways, i’m sure you’ve already figured out all of your features and symptoms are pretty much standard for pku patients. our pale skin is due to a lack of melanin which in part is produced by phenylalanine. the same is true with your hair color. having too much phe in your blood causes your hair to be light. my hair is dark auburn. if i were to go off the diet, it would lighten. as for self-tanner, i use it and it works good for me. i’ve found the gradual kind works a lot better, smells better, and doesn’t streak as easy. your mood swings and depression are also from too much phe. the phenylalaline in your blood stream builds up in your brain. it prevents your neurons from producing myelin, which is kind of like a conductor for all those signals your brain sends. i notice this a lot with myself as well. if i have too much protein, i tend to be a lot more moody and sometimes have anxiety attacks. as for the weight, i really don’t know much about that. i know it sucks eating like a rabbit all the time, but it is VERY beneficial to your body. the formula is hard for me to get down as well. i now take JUST pills. the name is Phlexy-10 Tablets. 60 a day. it sounds like a lot, but if you split it up to 20 pills a day 3 times a day, its really not that bad. it takes me no more than 5 minutes to consume 20 pills, and i dont have a strong nasty aftertaste in my mouth. the pills also contain a lot of fiber, which is good for your system as well.[/FONT]

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional