PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Having Children Reply To: Having Children

#7797
Avatar of Meaghan
mayrogers13
Member

You are absolutely correct. nTo have PKU both parents must be carriers. It is a recessive trait. I will break the odds down for you.
If both parents are non carriers:
No chance of PKU
If one parent is a carrier and one non carrier: nChild has a 50% of being a carrier, 50% chance of being non carrier
If both parents are carriers: nChild has a 50% of being a carrier, 25% chance of being non carrier, 25% chance of having PKU
If one parent has PKU and one non carrier: nAll children will have a 100% of being carriers
If one parent has PKU and one is a carrier: nChild has 50% chance of being a carrier, 50% chance of having PKU
If both parents have PKU: nAll children will have PKU
I hope I was able to help you. nMae

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional