Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU I dont get it Reply To: I dont get it

I can understand your confusion about the lack of symptoms. I was off-diet for about 30 years, but haven’t had any noticeable symptoms. I’m back on-diet now, as well as being on Kuvan – and responding well. I have also been quite intelligent, graduated from college with honors and a double major – while off-diet, and got my master’s degree with around a 3.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale – while working a full-time and a part-time job, and being on-diet only part of the time. In my case, I have variant PKU, with one mild and one severe mutation. As a result, my levels off-diet were never really high…12-15, maybe. From something I read written by Dr. Richard Koch, it isn’t unusual for those with vPKU to go 20-30 years off-diet with no negative side effects. Seems a little unusual with your low phe tolerance, but…every PKUer is different in how they handle phe – even those with the same mutations vary in their phe tolerance. Good that you’ve had the experience you’ve had…despite the low phe tolerance.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional