PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support New to PKU Reply To: New to PKU

rmbrewer12

I have been in your shoes! I had the same questions when my son was diagnosed. He will be 1 year old May 17th. They have all kinds of recipies that will help with holidays, I don’t know if you know about the National PKU News website (www.pkunews.org) but they have a wealth of information. Also, the my special diet website (www.myspecialdiet.com) has cookbooks you can buy and they are really great about having things to make for your child on holidays. As for Halloween we have decided to have our family and friends give my son fruit instead of candy. My biggest issue was just getting it through my head that my son would do things differently than most children but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have to be just as special and even completely normal to him. For his birthday I took some cake decorating classes so that I could make his “special” cake and then be able to decorate it. I hope your child is doing well. It takes a long time to process all of this!
God Bless nRachel

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional