PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! PKU Documentary Reply To: PKU Documentary

mayrogers13

Hi Tracey, My name is Meaghan Young and I am 20 years old and am going to be a senior in college. I have classical PKU and am only allowed to consume 5 grams of protein a day. I feel like this is an important part of life to capture for a PKUer because of the issue with insurance. I am forced to either immediately get a job or continue education because of the cost of medicine and food no longer being covered by insurance after college. This has diminished my dream of being an actress because I do not have the luxury to wait around and audition after college is over because of the cost of managing the diet. Also, I know the difficulty of having colleges agree to help out with the diet, thankfully I go to Siena College who buys all of my food for me but I had to meet the chefs of every school I visited and I know how naive some of them were. Let me know what you think! Sincerely, Meaghan Young CPKU 20 years old

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional