Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Adults With PKU Born before 1966? Reply To: Adults With PKU Born before 1966?

i love that i found this- i was born in 1960 before they did mandatory testing for pku. i was 8 when i was diagnosed. i have a younger brother who was diagnosed at the same time i was diagnosed – he was 3. russell is mentally retarded and they were amazed and maybe a little confused that i wasn't. they told me some stuff about my pku that ended up bring false. i was never on the diet until about 5 years ago. i was the reason they know that there are different types of pku with different manifestations. they did all kinds of research and psychological tests on me and my family. i have been on the diet about 5 years and on kuvan for nearly 2 but for me it's not the miracle that it promises. i did respond to the kuvan but i have other health issues that cause me to have really high levels even on kuvan. when i started the diet i did so with hopes of  amazing things and drastic changes in my life but for me it hasn't happened like that. i am seriously considering going off the diet maybe until i get my asthma controlled… this has become more stressful for me than i had ever anticipated. i continually run out of any kind of food and have to eat what's available for me…pku friendly or not…it gets to the point where it's about survival not about compliance.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional