Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Maternal PKU Reply To: Maternal PKU

Avatar of Breanna


Are you currently being seen by a doctor and dietitian for your PKU? If you aren't I suggest asking local hospitals near you, so they can set you up with a clinic. You may need to decrease your phe intake even more. Also be sure you are getting enough calories. For some people who have PKU if they do not get enough calories each day their bodies begin to break down muscle tissue for the nutrients and energy that it needs. Muscle is pure protein, so if this happens (it's called catabolism) it can increase your phe levels.

Breanna Hardy 18 CPKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional