PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Breastfeeding and PKU Reply To: Breastfeeding and PKU

AceMommy

Gracie,

Thank you for your reply…..you made me realize that I am lucky to have established good breastfeeding with Ace before we found out about the PKU.  I am truly sorry that the joy of nursing was taken from you, I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do, nature is truly amazing.

Thank you for your advice about the pumping.  I do have the Madela double electric pump but I have been afraid to pump.  The community nurse told me that if I pump too much I will become engorged.  And I know that I have read that if woman exclusively pump they will eventually lose their milk.  I guess I have been hesitant because I don't know how much and how often to pump for sure and I don't want to mess things up?????

Sometimes after Ace has his ounce of Phenex he nurses for 12 minutes, sometimes only 2 or 3.  Should I pump after every feeding or just the really short ones?

Also, do you have any advice on giving a breastfed baby a pacifier?  We haven't given him one yet and he really only cries when he is hungry but I also think he really likes to suck and a pacifier would comfort him?  But now that he has to have a bottle I don't really want to add a third type of nipple into the mix.

Thank you so much for your reply…..I look forward to getting to know you!

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional