PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU 26 years old and returning to diet after 5 years. Reply To: 26 years old and returning to diet after 5 years.

Uncleteef
bad_code wrote…

Uncleteef wrote…

JackofHearts wrote…

nActually I think it is a good thing to work out even with PKU, if you increase your intake of formula, you will be able to roll with it pretty easily, and it will probably help you sleep as it would use that extra energy you have.  I actually weightlift and I am doing great with it.  I just treat the formula as I would a protien drink and slug it like its water. 

If I were you, I wouldn't try to fit in with the crowd,  granted you have PKU but you don't have to define yourself by it.  You don't need disability to be successful.  Think, you're the man, and you can make it happen anyway.  

Oh trust me i have triedbut it seems as of late i have been getting worse over the years. Just recently i have trouble in big crowds and at work they wanted me to talk to customers and there were like 6 people around. I got so nervous and red that on the right side of my face it felt like it was buning up to the point where it was worse then a sunburn. trust me i would know. There are some thing i can and cannot do and being stressed out like that makes my condition worse.

nHeck when my symptoms get bad I can't even drive a car or even be a passenger in a car without having a headache and feeling a tingle that starts on the right side of my face and then my left arm goes numb. Then the dizziness and confusion that occurs. One time I was drving alone and I made a wrong turn and got lost. I had no idea where I was. Sometimes I watch TV and all the sudden… Its the end of the show and I don't remember being sleepy before or after the event. I can put something down or give something to someone and 15 seconds later I don't remember what I did with the item.

I am still working though.

I am still working as well but not like i used to. I dont drive for the reasons you have stated above. I have been trying to cautious as well i dont feel like putting myself or anyone else in harms way knowing how i am. The other day i tried drinking my cormula/milk and my leg wouldnt stop twitching. It was so bad you could see it twitch through my pants. Its a good thing no one else saw it or else i would have been embarressed. I just know what my body can take and lately when i get stressed i get severly hot like having a tempature so high that i need ice packs to cool me down.

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional