PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com menu planning Reply To: menu planning

beckyboo
Participant

That is a very good idea, a meal plan! I think I should do something like that!!

A good way to keep the foods varied is just simply by using all the low protein foods you possibly can. I was told that all herbs and spices are generally free so you can spice things up and make them taste good by varying with different flavours!

I personally eat lots of fruits & veggies with different sauces & low pro dressings etc. But I know that you can do lots with the pastas and making your own sauces!

Also making your own soups would be a good way to vary what your eating! You can find lots of recipes on the internet and you can adjust them to our diet!

You can add different things that have protein in, if you have enough exchanges! I am from England and I know in Holland & Barratts, you can buy a low protein cheese! But if you're in America, I think I saw somebody post about a cheese that you can get over there on prescription! 

I hope this helps?!

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional