PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support i need an answer to a very stupid question Reply To: i need an answer to a very stupid question

jennijen

Hello,  

I can't help but chuckle a little at this thread.  However, I do see the validity of the concern.  Let me tell you, I have PKU, it is not Classic, but still enough to require treatment.  When I was a child I did all the disgusting things you mention, ate scabs, picked my nose, tasted the blood from my scrapes and cuts, and my mother told me not to.  I have grown up fine; in fact when I was 6 I was honored for having the lowest phe levels in South Dakota at the time and got to have lunch with the Governor (I was not political then, lol).  As you can imagine that is around the age kids have stopped their dirty,curiosity based, habits and the honor was for a lifetime achievement, not just a year.  This honor must have also meant my parents were doing something right too; if that makes us lowbrow so be it; but I happen to feel those who can't spell correctly shouldn't throw stones! 

I hope this has helped!

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional