PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support phe/tyr ratio Reply To: phe/tyr ratio

jakesmom

I reply with caution.

Jacob is also slightly behind in his development. He is 15 months old. He was born a micro premie. He was 3 months early. They correct his age when it comes to development. He is therefore tested at 9 months. And the assessment showed he was 3 months behind that. 

I chaulk it up to, hes a boy. And these charts are guidelines, and averages. We talked to his dietian to ask if PKU would be a factor in this, and she advised us no.

As of this month Jacob was tested for 12 months. He meets all and exceeds some 12 month milestones (With the exception of going from sit to stand in the middle of a room with no aids) He can't stand long and is just learning to walk..so this doesnt surprise me.

His speech as well is delayed. He has approx 14 words. I am not so sure they are words as she declare them, but some are mimic of speech in my opinon. Yes he has mumumum dadada uhoh, and the like. When he is in the tub if I ask for his fishy, he makes a she sound, but wouldnt say it on his own. They have signed him up for speech therapy. The wait is 9-12 months long, so hopefully he is talking away by that point, and it wont be necessary.

So, to answer your question, Yes, we have noticed delays, but he also catches up. Also, its unclear if the delays are based on PHE or his early arrival.

Hope this helps.

Tanya

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional