Community Discussion Forum New to Just found out … Reply To: Just found out …

First of all congratulations on your new little boy! I'm sure it is exciting having a new little one, but with his recent diagnosis I would imagine it is also a bit overwhelming as well. Just remember though that he will be perfectly fine as long as he continues his diet. As time goes on managing his diet will become another part of life for you and your family. Each stage of life with your son will present new obstacles (ie starting solids, starting school, and so on), but with the help of your medical team I am sure you will be able to do it! It will just take a little bit of learning and taking one day at a time.

I couldn't agree more with what Simoncrum and Jakesmom said about not being able to miss something that you have never had before. At twenty years old I have never had meat before, and to be honest I have absolutely no desire to eat it. I have always tried to keep a positive attitude towards my PKU and reminded myself that there are so many other disorders that I could have been born with that are worse and some that have no treatment at all. Even with PKU I am a happy, healthy, fully functional college student who is studying nursing and working a part time job.

Anyway, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help,

Breanna 20 Classical PKU

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional