Community Discussion Forum Parent support Any body from the uk? Reply To: Any body from the uk?

Hi everyone

My name is Nick and I have PKU too. I am from Greece but 1.5 years ago I moved to UK to do my MSc and now I work in an IT company. 

My story is that my parents got informed at the time I was born that I had PKU so since then I am in a diet and I will be in the rest of my life (unless someone finds a cure). I am 25 now so I am used to the diet and I have no problems with it. My doctors were saying that if you do strict diet while you grow up (while your brain grows up) then you can have a looser diet when you become 18. This is really hard but it is worthy. I have two sisters and one brother and only my little sister has PKU too. So I was the first one.

Oliversmummy92 keeping a teen on diet is really hard. I remember myself breaking my diet every now and then when I was a teen. But it is something that can and must be done. I thank my parents for doing a good job on this. I was wondering if in UK children with PKU has to take special nutrition supplements because back in Greece the doctors still gives us nutrition supplements like this

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional