PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! i hate being pku Reply To: i hate being pku

Kenneth
Unknown wrote…

ni hate being pku none of my mates no wat its like not being able to eat wat u want help me i hate this

Hi, What is your name? And How old are you?  My name is Ken, I am 47 and I have Classic PKU. I was diagnosed in early 1966. I know exactly what you are going through. Let me tell you I have been where you are, I hated this too. I would be envious of what everyone was able to eat. Things had to be prepared special for me, because I couldn't have what everyone else was having. I am 47 and I have been in the U.S. Army for a total of 24 years.  I am currently in the Texas Army National Gaurd. And Platoon Sergeant of a Platoon with 27 members.  Let me tell you it can be challenging at times. Since I have got older I have learned to not eat the things that I can't.  Also there is a couple of products out on the market one is Phe Bloc and the other is  Phenylade 60.  My Pku is a mild form so I can have a more variety of foods to eat than if I was not on Phe Bloc.  If you would like, I would like to be your friend to help you through this rough time.  When I was growing up I used to think that I was the only one in the World with this. And that was because I never met anyone else my age with the same disorder.  But I would like to be your friend, and help you if I can.
Sincerely, Ken

Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional