PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Adopting PKU

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    majormom

My husband and I are considering the adoption of a 10y old with PKU. This is very new to us, and eating is such a social thing to our family, I was just looking for some insight of what might come. At first glance, the diet seems very difficult. does it get any better as you learn?

HappyMom

Hi, nSorry about such a late response. I don’t get on the site as much as I’d like. nMy son is now 2 1/2 years old and his dietary needs have just become second nature to my husband and I and our families. One of my son’s little friends has juvenille diabetes so his mom and I are able to talk about occasional diet difficulties.
    Sarah

Tracie_PKU

Hi Majormom,
    I think it is awesome that you are considering adopting a PKU child especially 10 yr old. nThat is the age of my daughter,however iam the one with PKU in my family.It is not as hard as it seems. nMay i ask if she is on a formula?
    If so the food to follow would almost be second nature for her. nMy family is very social with food.
    I am a strict Veggie.LOL
    It gets easier as you get older.(for PKU child) nKnowledge is power. nJust keep it exciting. nLet her prepare some of the foods that she is able to eat.
    Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions. nAlso a great person to talk to is BreMarie. nShe is 15yrs with CPKU, and has a younger sibling with it as well.
    I will add you to my friends Req. if you have any questions.
    nTake care, and Goood Luck. nWe are special people,and pretty normal just food difference. nLots of encouragement is always best…
    Tracie-PKU

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional