PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Allergies and PKU

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    juanita

What are the options for children with PKU and that have developed allergies from environmental allergents such as molds and pollen?

kmariewood

Hi Juanita
    Im not sure what you mean. I would have thought that it wouldnt matter what you are allergic to as long as you didnt eat it. unless your talking about medications
    keisha

juanita

What are the best allergy medicines to give a child with PKU this is the first time my husband and i have had a problem with our daughter have an allergic reaction from going outside.

kmariewood

Hi Juanita
    In my pku handbook i found some additives in medicines that people with pku are supposed to avoid such as Aspartame(951) vegetable gum (408) colour(110,123) but its probably better if you consult your doctor on this one. i hope i have been of some help
    keisha

arkham

Generally, most allergy medications should be ok. Always check for aspartame, though. Also, sometimes Singulair, which is primarily an asthma medication, is prescribed for allergies. Be aware that children’s Singulair has aspartame. Adult Singulair does not.

juanita

thank you very much for all your help

jennijen

I happen to have allergies and PKU; there seemed to be a direct correlation between going off diet (around age 18) and seasonal allergies. I take flonase (nasal spray) and over the counter off brand chlortrimaton for most of the allergy season, and when it is at its worst I also take Allegra-D. These things help me considerably, especially the nasal spray.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional