Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sarahsmith69

I have read in the newspaper this week that sainsburys are taking aspartame out of their drinks due to article being written about additives not being good for your children.It is expected that most ofn the other superstore will follow sainsburys in doing this.What good news it is for us with pku now there will be more variety for us to drink I was struggling to find something to drink without aspartame in it.I have spent ages down the drinks isle looking at labels.Lets hope they do this soon!!!!!

kmariewood

That sounds fantastic, hopefully all the drink companies will follow too.

mayrogers13

Just to let you know, anything with spleanda is fair game for PKU!

jessica999

how fantastic after nearly a lifetime of seeing aspartame on so many labels! just checking, but you are talking about sainsburys in the uk, right? i got the feeling this was an american-based website…im new here today so i’m not sure.(though i’m an american with pku living in england now)

Patrick5678
    Participant

I had an awful experience one time with having aspartame in a packet of crisps. I kept getting continuous headaches and anxiety attacks. I didn't feel good either. Since then, I've always watched the aspartame in drinks and crisps. Its a shame aspartame has been added to fanta panda and other sparkling drinks.

Nicole1982

Hi guys…

Am so glad i came apon this post, I ave been feeling like rubbish lately with headaches and i nearly had an anxiety attack other day there, and am thinking its due to the aspartame in diet irn bru which ave been drinking alot of lately!

Nic x

Patrick5678
    Participant

I think that is true since when I had aspartame it was really weird. It was like I had some kind of foreign body reaction and my head felt achy especially at night. I can remember I just didn't feel right for weeks until it got out of my system. I had also panic attacks like I just couldn't control what was going on in my head- was very frightening.

I couldn't have explained it otherwise.

Nicole1982

Hi Patrick…

I totally understand..

My head felt as if it was all foggy, like walking around in a daze or summit. Concentrating on something makes the matter worse.  its so weird and i agree its totally scary. Am needing to sort myself out and get back on this diet strict!!!!

Nic

Patrick5678
    Participant

What I suggest is try drinking lots of water to flush it out of the system. I think it will take a while before you will feel totally fine but you will get better. Its just an adverse reaction to the aspartame. PKU people just can't handle the concentrated phe form. Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional