PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Blood tests

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    KristiKon

O-kay, so I’ve been reading a lot of different posts and it seems like the majority of you are able to do the blood tests at home…true or not? We have to drive an hour away in bad traffic once every 4 weeks (which is better b/c it was once a week at first) for the nurse at the clinic to basically torture my baby trying to find her veins . Is anybody else dealing with this? The last visit was particularly hard b/c Ashley’s quite the chunkster and they blamed that on not being able to get her blood easily. When she was smaller, they blamed it on her being new and the veins being small. I’ll buy that, but it seems like there should be an easier way. Our pediatrician says that her veins are “right there” and that she shouldn’t be a hard stick. So I’m wondering if our genetics nurse just isn’t that great at drawing blood…just thought I’d throw that out there to see what you all have to say. Thanks! n–Kristi

BreaMarie91

Kristi-
    I know that you are defintally not the only family who does blood draws outside of the house, but we do our blood tests at home with a finger prick. Is there anyway you could talk with your daughters PKU doctor about switching to finger pokes? It’s relatively simple to learn how to do the finger pokes. nBre

KristiKon

Yeah, it seems like it would be a lot better and my dad even volunteered to do it if I couldn’t. We brought it up a while ago and they said maybe when she gets older and also that usually when they let parents do it, they find that the parents end up coming back b/c it’s easier to let the nurse do it. I find that hard to belive! I’m not sure why they are seemingly against us doing it at home. But I read somewhere on this site about a mom that does the finger pricks to her 5 month old, so I’m sure it can’t be an age thing at this point. It’s very frustrating. At least with a finger poke, they only have to do it one time. With missing the veins, Ashley sometimes leave there with three different holes from where they tried and missed. And they dig around with those needles….man, I’m telling you it’s pure torture! I hope this PKU stuff gets easier!!

BreaMarie91

Kristi-
    I’m not sure why they would say it is an age thing because I haven’t had blood drawn in a lab since I was 6 months. Although when my parents first started blood tests on me they did heel pricks until awhile after I started walking and they they had to start the finger because once kids start walking the heels get rough. If I were you and you really want to do it then continue bring it up and keep pushing for them to let you do this! I’m 16 and have been doing levels at home all this time so they obviously can’t be serious when they say everybody comes back to do lab draws.
    And one more tip, if you are allowed to do levels at home I would suggest the BD genie lancets that are blue and they are 2.0mm depth and 1.5mm width these are what we use and they work wonders! You can’t feel them and Ashley will defintally bleed enough in one poke. Coming from the worlds biggest chicken when it comes to needles and the worst bleeder that should mean alot . nBre

HappyMom

Hi, nWe did heel pokes on our son until he started walking. Then we started doing the finger pokes. We set everything out and my husband and I do it as a team. Easton still doesn’t like it but we try to make it quick.
    Sarah

KristiKon

So I guess I will talk to them again about it when we go at the end of the month. I’m starting to think it’s a money thing because if we do it ourselfs, they can’t charge us out the rear for the doctor’s visit. Even if they still are adament about not letting us do it, I’m going to see if they will let us take her to our pediatrician and let them do it. They already said they would, and it’s a much easier drive (plus I’m hoping they’re better at drawing blood!). I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the info on what needles to use if they do let us do it at home! n–Kristi

Anonymous

as a child untill i was 18 i did all my blood tests at a mds clinic. i actualyl prefered it .. i didnt mind watchign them do it either.. i only stoppd getting it done at a lab because my clinc told me the test were chagning and could not be done at a clinic anymore, if i did not want to do them at home then i would have to do them at a hospital.. so now i do my tests at home with pen poker liek ppl with diabites.. i dont know why that lady has so much troulbe with ur daughter.. i am also assuming shes not very good.. i always had active veins and only as i got older did it get harder due to scar tissue..maybe u should ask to have someone else try???
    sorry i cant help more!

KristiKon

They told me that people usually prefer for them to do it at the clinic, and from what you said, it must be true that some people do. It would just be a lot more convenient for us to do it at home (or even the pediatricians office). I haven’t asked for another nurse to try b/c she is the Dr’s only nurse (each Dr has their own nurse) and I don’t want to say anything to make them mad at me. I don’t want to hurt the nurses feelings, I just don’t want her to tourture my daughter anymore! I don’t know, maybe it really is THAT hard to get her blood…agh…I’m totally stressed out about this!

BreaMarie91

Is she new at this? Or has she maybe never taken blood from an infant? I’m just trying to think why it would be so hard for her to get blood from your daughter. If you can’t do blood tests at home then could you maybe see if your nurse could do a heel/finger prick instead (if she knows how to do it that is).
    I’m not sure if it would be that hard to draw blood. I’ve seen my dad do it a million times for my mom (he used to be a phlebotomist). Then again I suppose it is different for every person taking the blood and patient.
    I guess I don’t really have any other advice, but I hope something gets worked out! nBre

cleobaby

when my bro & i were younger mum used to prick our fingers in the bath but then we found out water contaminated the results so we just did it before bfast or dinner 1 day once in a blue moon. like we’d say ok test will be thurs morning before breakfast so we’d drink lotsa formula n be real good n strict diet for like a week before. now we live away from home we only test ourselves when the hospital writes to us asking us to.
    ang

KristiKon

Okay, so here’s my update: We talked to the doc today and he reluctantly agreed to let us do the tests at home. He said they aren’t quite as accurate and that it’s tricky b/c you have to make sure the blood drops are on the circles perfectly so they spread evenly, etc. (I think kind of trying to talk us out of it), but if so many people out there are doing it, it can’t be that tricky. We have to go back next month and then after that I think they will let us do it from home…hooray!! I also had my first lesson in counting Phe, planning the daily menu and all that fun stuff. Now I just have to teach everything to my husband
    –Kristi

Anonymous

good luck and congrats…also little tibet for doing the blood dots at home. you cant use the first drop of blood that comes off the finger (i dotn know why) u have to wipe it off or let it fall but not on the card. and as u do place the blood in the cricles u cant let there fingers actually touch the card . it messes up the test and they cant get a level. my dr recommends that u poke the side of the finger not to close to the pad. the pads of ur fingers are to sensitve , they bleed very easy but they hurt and it takes longer to heal and they bruise. on the side of ur finger u wont even feel afterwords. there alittle tougher. im sure ur dr already told u this. mine didnt rigth away so i thought id share! hope it helps!! good luck again!

BreaMarie91

Kristi- That is awesome to hear your going to be doing the blood tests at home! And as far as doing levels at home cannot be that less accurate. If they were I am sure there would be plenty of doctors who wouldn’t let parents do levels at home.
    Trust me, it’s not as hard as if seems, it’ll just take some practice. I just wanted to make a quick suggestion on lancets if you get the BD Genie lancets that are 2.0mm depth and 1.5mm width (the blue ones) they work wonders! I’m the queen of chickens when it comes to needles and I really like these lancets. You can’t feel them (even when you dont’ poke on the side of the finger) and bleeding enough is not a problem. Sorry if I mentioned this already. I’ll leave a site that has them so you can see what they look like, but I’m sure there are other places that you can find them. http://catalog.bd.com/bdCat/viewProduct.doCustomer?productNumber=366582 and good luck with learning how to do the blood tests.
    Amanda- Do you know why they say you should wipe the first drop of blood away? Just wondering because uh…we never do lol so should I be worried about that? As far as I know me and my sisters levels have been coming back accurate and everything.

Anonymous

Bre i have no idea why they say that. i dont always either i forget most of the time. maybe casue the told me that after i got use to doing it at home. just thought id share to anyone who is new at it cause maybe they will no what the differance is to us who dont. i will ask my deitican the next time i talk to her. im planning on doing a bloodtest this saturday! so wish me luck i hope its lower then 9.9

KristiKon

Thanks for all the advice girls! They kind of showed us yesterday how to prick the heel, but they didn’t show us the card yet (they use the vile at the office and not the cards b/c they just send the vile to the lab downstairs). Next month they will tell us how to do the card so I’m sure we’ll get all of the details. Thanks for the input on what type of needle to use Bre. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind…the less pain for my baby the better! This is totally just a side note, but Ashley was the cutest little sunflower ever tonight for halloween . Wish you all could’ve seen her!
    –Kristi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional