PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU Blood Tests…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BreaMarie91

Okay I know this is probably alittle pathetic but I’m just going to go straight out and ask this. Does anyone else here have trouble doing blood tests? Not only do we have the issue that we never remember to do them but I absolutely hate them, it’s gotten to the point where I hate being in the same room if there is any of the bloodwork papers or any type of needles there. And unforteuntally my sister is sort of following in my footsteps which isn’t good.
    So I was wondering if anyone else here had that problem or if I’m the only baby here? nThanks! nBreanna

hyperphesami

No….I’ma baby when it comes down to needles too.When I was six…my dad and three other nurses had to hold me down to get four shots!!! Wow!but yeah when I went to the pku camp I had to get blood drawn 3 times cause the first time they didn’t get it right and let me just tell you…that hurt!I was also wondering how to submit a forum for your profile…I’m new as you can probably tell and don’t know anything yet
    nThanks! Sami

BreaMarie91

Yeah well I’m 15 and umm lets just say my mom can’t do the bloodtests without my dad.
    Oh and you have to go to my profile and then clikc edit.
    nnThis has nothing to do with PKU but omg! my mom got a puppy! Her name is Tiki and she’s like 2 months and a boarder collie…which kind of brightened me up becuase my other dog who is like 15 and we’ve had her since I was like 3 months is getting old and sick and may not live soon but now I’m so happy!

kennyboy

If I could make a suggestion…. Why don’t you try the finger pokes. They don’t hurt at all, and it is quick, maybe not as quick as the needles, but they are much more unfeelable. n-Kennyboy nWyoming

BreaMarie91

Actually that is how we do our bloodtests….Trust me I would never let them stick that needle in my arm (I know I’m a baby).

hyperphesami

I use the soft touch brand and all it does is have a little sting and then a whole lot of blood will come out. They come with little needles that you have to put in the dispenser and then you press a button and it shoots into your skin and out before you can say “ouch!”

BreaMarie91

Thanks we’ll try that.

really ???? my 5 month old son laughs when i do it. i guess hes just lucky. hehe heather

GotPKU

yeah, i use soft clicks too, it works well, i cant stand having to go to the doctors to get it done! it takes way too much time! Sometimes, i find it hard to get the right amount of blood, so i have to prick myself atleast twice, but iv’e gotten into a regime of doing it, so it dosent really bother me anymore. There was a time around a few years ago, when i didn’t check my blood for at least two years, but i got back into using the manual clicker thinggy, so all is good. i was too scared of it hurting more than people said, but once i tried, i just thought oh well, this is what i have to do, i should learn to deal with it.

BreaMarie91

Yes I hate having to poke myself like 2 or 3 times. Does the manual clicker work better then doing it without it do you think? I was just wondering because I know we have one somewhere but I haven’t used it in ages! nBreanna

GotPKU

what do you mean? what is it your using now? (when you take your blood)

BreaMarie91

We just do our blood tests straight with the soft click needles without any sort of clicker or anything.

GotPKU

ooo ouch!!!! your just basically stabbing your self with a needle!!! ouch!!!! in your heel or finger? a lancet launcher is sooo much easier!!! i would hate to do it with just the needle!!!! ooooo, that makes me cringe thinking about it! i really suggest getting the launcher thinngy!

BreaMarie91

We do the fingers because it’s to hard to do it with our heels. But we have a manual clicker, we just haven’t used it in forever but I think now since you said it’s much easier and less painful to do it with the clicker I think that will be how we do the next blood tests.

GotPKU

yeah, try it. you may find it better and eaiser! tell me how it goes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional