PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support cannot get my one year old to eat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mnbamonte

I have a one year old. He does not like to eat anything. I am lucky if he takes 22 ounces a day, and a small amount of of baby food. He was taking this fine, but has shut down. I have been introducing solid foods since he was about 6 months. This use to make him throw up, but now he puts them in his mounth then spits it out.
    This has been hard to get his PHE in him, and get to his calorie goals. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

BreaMarie91

I’m not a parent but I was reading this and thought I might beable to offer a bit of help. I went thru a phase like this when I was younger where I only drank my formula so I couldn’t get phes in, what my parents tried was adding things in that have phes into my formula. They added things like coffee creams that had just enough phes to fill me. I hope this helps somewhat. nBreanna

BreaMarie91

Oh and also I think my parents added milk (regular milk that is) into my formula to get phes in when I didn’t eat much. But they put VERY little in. nBreanna

splshglitter

that helps me alot brea, because my 3 year old does the same thing! ni have to add phes (milk)in at the end of the day to her formula(2 tbls = 1 exchange), because she will not eat all her solids. thanks for sharing your story with us abut when you were younger. that is really good to know. i have worried about her solid intake, that she is not eating enough solids.

mnbamonte

Brea
    I also want to thank you for posting. People like you help us new Moms learn a lot about how to help our children.
    Thanks

around when did this first start ? my 5 month old soon to be 6 is doing great with formula i was just wandering when the change was ? thanks heather<3

BreaMarie91

Yeah, even today when I’m 15 I sometimes look back on what I ate that day and realize I haven’t eatten nearly enough phes so I’ll have to eat something higher in phes or add something to my juices. nBreanna

mnbamonte

To respond when this started. My son is great with the formula. It is more the baby foods. Actually if he takes formula well, he doesn’t want food. If he takes food half decent he doesn’t want as much formula. But it is mostly the food. We actually have gotten him to be approved for feeding therapy, so hopefully he will eat better when he is in control.
    This started when he was about 9 months old or so.

mcribbet

Hi there! I’m wondering if your sons formula has too many calories in it that it’s filling him up and he may not want to eat if he’s feeling full? Perhaps your dietician could adjust his formula? I have a one year old daughter who takes her formula just fine and eats real well, we’re very lucky, but we have days were she doesn’t feel like eating as well. We give her a tablespoon of yogart, that is about 34 mg of phe a tablespoon and we give her 1 ounce of milk which is 50 mg of phe. Our Dr. and Dietician offered us these tips to help get her there ; )

How is your son doing? Is he eating now? My one year old daughter is also not eating, I worry, cuz if she loses weight her phe levels go up. One month ago they were above 12. I dont want this to happen again. Did you get him to eat? If so, how?

monika26

Just wondering is it ok if once in awhile my son doesnt finish his Formula batch for the day.Only when hes sick i understand but what if hes just tired and doesnt drink about 6oz from a 20 oz batch .Is it something i should worry about? My son is almost two and the most hes left from his formula was a about 3oz so i just wonder if its harmul if he didnt drink about 6oz  out of his batch?

BreaMarie91

Hey monika,

I'm sure Matthew will be fine. There will be times when he doesn't drink all of his formula for one reason or another (ie he's sick, he fell asleep before he could, etc). Try not to stress about it and just know that tomorrow will be another day, and you can try again then.

Obviously completely refusing to drink his formula isn't good, but if he's just missing his last cup every once in awhile it shouldn't be a problem. If you're worried about it you could try giving Matthew an extra ounce of formula in each bottle or giving him one of his bottles earlier than you normally do.

Will you guys be at the May cooking class? I cannot make it, but I know my Mom will be there with my sisters Erica, Faith, Genavieve, and my brother Brennan.

Take care,

Breanna

monika26

Thanks for the advice brea..We will not be at the cooking class in May because Matthew and i leave for Poland April 18th thru May 12th..Im very excited and nervous at the same time.Im most worried about the time change (7 hours ahead of us) and how that will influence matthew feeding schedule.But on the other hand i need to stop being such a worry freak. Any travel advice?

BreaMarie91

Make sure you talk to Jessica about getting a note from the doctor for Matthew's formula/food if you are taking it on the plane. We have never been given a hard time about traveling with formula as long as we had a medical note and it was put in a one gallon ziploc bag. Have fun :).

foufouka

Hi everyone, 

I would really appreciate some help in a similar topic. 

I have a 6 month old girl an d it has been almost 3 weeks that I have started giving her solid food. It is REALLY frustrating. She doesn;t seem to like eating with a spoon at all! I have started with a cream, adding corn flour at her formula and then fruits (apple, peer). No luck. She plays a little, but when she's really hungry, she wants her formula in a bottle. After so much time I thought she would get ud\\sed to it, but it seems that for her food is only her formula.  I woll add tommorow veggies, but I don;t think it will make a difference.

She is currently in a diet of 16-17 spoons of regular milk and 10 of formula, her phe levels are consistently at 1 mg/dl. She's growing up fine, but the thing with the food is taking us a little back. Normally I wouldn/t wonder (who doesn/t eat at the end) but I can not help worrying a lot. 

Any suggestions? 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional