Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ALEXJM

I have a niece born with PKU in 2005. It transpired that my younger sister is a carrier which got me thinking. Wondering if I’m also a carrier. Is there any way to find out?

lucyday

ALEXJM,
    I have had pku my whole life and quite a bit older than you I suspect. Prior to my pregnancy I went to a hospital to get genetic conuseling. I think you should start there. They can test you to see if you are a carrier. That is where I started when I was pregnant. I hope this helps you and I hope you find out what you are looking for.
    Lucy Day

arkham

There is no way to tell whether you’re a carrier of PKU unless you have a parent with PKU…then you would definitely be a carrier. Without that, you would need to have a genetic test done to determine. Even people who have siblings with PKU don’t know for sure that they are carriers. I have PKU, but my brother doesn’t. There is a 50% chance he’s a carrier, and a 25% chance he isn’t.

BreaMarie91

Like Lucy said you could go to the genetic counselor if you really want to know if your a carrier or not. They could do a gene test which would tell you what the make up of your DNA is (I think that is what it is). Then they would beable to tell you what’s on your 12th chromosome (the chromosome that has the PKU gene on it). So that would tell you if your a carrier or not. nBrenana 16 CPKU

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional