PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support do kids make fun of you

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

if you are person with pku… do the other kids at school make fun of you or did they used to ?? j/w thanks heather

BreaMarie91

When I was younger kids never really made fun of me because, believe it or not, I used to have a short temper lol no I’m jk. No kids never did or do really make fun of me because for the most part kids never knew. After I got to about 65th or 6th grade kids were to the age where they were mature enough not to make fun of others and in 4th grade most kids never knew. But my sister who in in 2nd grade has never said anyone makes fun of her, it just doesn’t really seem like kids really care, like it’s not really a big deal that anyone eats different. nBreanna

BraelynMom

I know i dont have PKU my baby does and i knew someone in highschool and no one even knew she had it she was the same as everyone else the only difference was was that she couldnt eat some of the stuff others could. She was actually very popular.

BreaMarie91

I have to really agree with Braelynmom, I’m 15 now and I will admit even today there are some kids I’ve known since I was in 4th grade and they have not or have just found out I have PKU. I’m like any other kid out there, I get good grades, can participate in afterschool activities (although I stick mostly with dance because that eats up about 4 nights a week for me) and I’m basically as social as anyone else I know, maybe even more (I’m a talkative person) .
    Braelynmon, that’s kind of cool that you went to someone who has PKU like your daughter, it would be nice if I knew someone else who had PKU lived very close to me, but oh well. nBreanna

vivianrn

Heather, nAs I stated in my last email, I recently joined this site and it has been helping me so much. My son who is 5 and a half has been made fun of by other children even since preschool. Its terrible how mean children are to other children. I have explained to my son that we all have something regaurdless if its on the inside or out. I teach him to be kind to everybody and accept others for how they are, I try to tell him to ignore those who laugh or think his food is gross, but believe me its harder I think for me than it is him.

BreaMarie91

vivianrn- nPersonally my PKU has never really bugged me. I guess I think that in alot of cases if other kids are saying mean things they might just be saying it because they’re curious. nWhen I started highschool I started hanging out with alot of people who I hadn’t before. So because of that I had to begin explaining my PKU all over, which I don’t mind. At first alot of my friends saw my food and said it was alittle bit weird, but to me I just take it as ‘I’ve never seen that, what is it?’ Now that I’m a junior in highschool and all of my friends know about my PKU for the most part they don’t think it’s weird. If anything I think they are all very interested and always want to know what happened when I come back from appointments at Children’s Hospital. Plus it helps that I’ve gotten past the age where everybody thought different was bad (aka middle school aged) and I like being unique!
    With my younger sister who also has PKU for the most part her friends all know she eats differently. She’s only in 3rd grade so they might not know exactly why she eats different, but they apparently accept that because there hasn’t been any teasing problems with her…well if they’re have been obviously Erica doesn’t care because she hasn’t said anything. nBreanna 16 CPKU

Anonymous

the only thing that i was ever made fun of was my stinky pink milk. thats how alot of ppl remember me too ..unfortantly.. lol .. i was on the phenly free and i used strawbery qucik for flavour. i reiember one day i spilt it all over my desk in kindergarten.. that was like 16 yrs ago ,. i have never forgotten it and nor has anyone else.. lol man did it smell .. lol. but no noone ever made fun of me.. alot of ppl pitted me cause i couldnt enjoy all there fav foods. and then i would just tell them that i never had them so there for i never missed out .. they would agree and the discussion would change!

yuck, i remember the days of unflavored phenyl-free and strawberry nisquick.
    that DID stink =/

Tracie_PKU

Ya Know whats funny?
    Not as a child (probably cause i was a tuffer kid),but now as a adult yes.LOL
    I kind of laugh at them,and then i tease them saying better stay away i’m contagious. n(Ok hopefully thats not to mean,but they laugh
    more).
    I have a question does anyone have moles all over there body?
    Just a thought. I do,and i hate them.
    Tracie-PKU

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional