PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU Does anyones busy life make the diet hard?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BreaMarie91

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a busy life. I’m at dance classes almost 4 or 5 days a week and then there is school and other family related things so I find it hard sometimes to keep my diet straight. I was just curious if I was the only loser who sometimes totally blows the diet off Which I’m probably not. And if you have this problem how do you get yourself back on track? I can do the diet for a few weeks but then I loss my motivation (I guess that’s what you could say) and I basically forget about the diet. nThanks Breanna

debbieco

Hi I certainly can relate to a busy life. I try to have a half day to cook low protein foods then freeze them for the week which can work. All any of us can do is our best and I am sure that you do your best.
    It is so great to meet a fifteen years old that knows so much about PKU! I am really impressed! nAs long as all the formula is taken each day is the most important thing for bone health, memory etc.
    It seems that you are doing well which is great! nHave fun!

BreaMarie91

I tried to educate myself as much as I can on PKU (and in school of course) but I defintally don’t know everything, then again who does ? Yeah me and my mom try to cook low pro bread and stuff every saturday morning after I come home from dance but sometimes we end up going somewhere else and plus other times I’m just way to tired to do that, but usually we do cook. nBreanna

gotpku1992

Im in the school play of Romeo and juliet, so i have rehersals almost everyday, then i do Ballet (i suck) but i LOVE it! and i havn’t been able to do it for a while. nMy PKU ALLWAYS gets in my way!!! i HATE having to deal with all the questions from everyone, but i don’t want to think about what it would be like if i compleatly ditched the Diet. Iv’e tried to, but i allways end up back on. you just gotta stick with it, i know that sounds really lame and support group like, but in the end we’re stuck with it and there’s nothing to do about it, unless someone finds somekind of improvement. (i wish!)

BreaMarie91

I was in a school play in 7th grade (like 3 years ago) it was scrooges christmas carol. But anyway I dance to, I’m not horrible at it but I’m not super awesome but whatever because I enjoy it and all my friends in class are nice so I don’t care how good I am. nBreanna

GotPKU

lol, i only started ballet a few months ago and i havn’t been to often, so i really suck! i dont care though, b/c i realize that i am (although it dosent look like it) kinda getting better. it’s fun, that’s all i really care bout.

BreaMarie91

Yeah as long as your having fun and getting better then who cares. I had dance tonight (I do tap, jazz, ballet and pointe but I only had ballet tonight). So anyway the other classes got their costumes and I’m kind of afraid of what they’ll look like, I guess someone is making the costumes so I have no idea what they’ll look like. Oh well I guess we’ll just wait and see. nBreanna

GotPKU

wow your on pointe! i would love to be on pointe!!!!!!!! it looks so graceful!!!! how long have you been doing ballet? most of the girls in my class have been doing it for around 7 years, and they’re all on pointe, so im figuring im going to get on pointe when im around 21, joy to the world! (sarcastic) how often do you dance? almost everyday? wow!

BreaMarie91

I’ve been dancing since I was 3…so I think this would be my 12 or 13th year dancing. I started pointe in 8th grade so it’s my 3rd year on that but I’m not good at all on Pointe, I probably would be but my ankles aren’t nearly as strong as the other girls. And yes I dance Monday (I help teach classes that day, Tuesday, Thursday (I have my class and I help teach a class that day) and then Saturday plus I have extra practice on Sunday because I’m in competiting classes. So it makes dealing with the PKU diet alittle hard because I’m gone about 1-2 hours almost every night. nBreanna

GotPKU

WOW!!! you must be absolutly amazing compaired to me! i absolutly suck! after christmas in planning on taking ballet twice a-week, and then i would love to start gymnactics to help with my flexibility. iv’e herd they go well together. Have you ever herd of the book “Among the Hidden”? with PKU i kinda feel like the kids in that book.

BreaMarie91

Well I would hardly consider myself amazing I’m in I think the highest class at my studio but compared to everyone else there I’m a baby. I’m in a class with 1 senior, 2 juniors and then the other 5 girls are sophmores (I am a sophmore too) but not only are they already 16 (I’m only 15 and won’t be 16 till june) bu they are also alot bigger then me in height and weight since I’m only around lik 5’1 and like around 90 lbs or something. So yeah they always joke around and say that I’m the baby of the class, my sister is super flexible…I’m not horrible at flexibilty but defintally not as good as her.

GotPKU

wow! i really miss ballet! iv’e been dancing around the house for ages, and i really want to get back into classes!!!

kennyboy

Hello BreaMarie91,
    I just thought I would reply to your messages. I have worked for our city for three years now as the Assistant Clerk. I am involved with political business and assist the mayor in his daily duties. As you can imagine, this job takes alot of time and dedication and gets very busy. And yes, every now and then, it creates a sense of difficulty for my job, but I always stay on diet. No matter how difficult your job is, the most important thing is to stay on diet. My busy life includes school, work, polotics, work, work and more work. Every one I work with, every one I go to school with, knows what I deal with and they support me. It makes life so much easier when people support you when you are on diet. Therefore, if it wasn’t the people who support me, I wouldn’t probably have made it this far in my life. So whether you work with the mayor, at the grocery store, a business entity of any sort, the most important thing is to stay on diet. And the best part, is to work someplace where people can support you staying on diet. There’s my little take on business in life with my diet, just so you have a little input.

BreaMarie91

Wow Kenny you must be super busy! Oh and by the way yes I have read “Among the Hidden” I think I read like the first 2 of those books for school and then I just had to read the last one, but that was like maybe 3 years ago in 7th grade so I just remember the basics of the book. Lol, I stomp around the house (because I’m in tap) and it drives my mom nuts!

mayrogers13

I did dance 6 days a week for 3 years and school plays and kickline team. It was hard to keep track but I had to do it. I dont want my IQ to suffer because I thought my diet was an inconvience. Always have snacks on hand like an apple or other low protein snacks (try veggie chips or apple chips for all you who are addicted to potato chips like me. I love them!)And make sure you take your medicine. Break it up into 4 parts or bring it in a thermos, but even if you cheat beyond belief take your formula.
    I am in college, still do plays, and clubs, and work out, and have a life lol. I still do it you can too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional