PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Does Formula stain your teeth?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick5678
    Participant

Hi

I was wondering has anyone had the problem with the formula e.g. Maxamum actually causing tough stubborn dark brown stains on your teeth which only the dentist can remove regardless of whether brushed teeth or not?

Patrick

BreaMarie91

I have drank several different formulas growing up (although I do not think I have ever been on Maxamum), and I have never had this problem with any of my formulas before. I am currently drinking Phenylade Essentials. My two younger sisters who have PKU have never had issues with their teeth either.

Breanna 20 CPKU

KateGilmore
    Participant

I don't have stains but my teeth colour is not shining white, maybe it's due to the formula but I can't say that for sure. But I also assume, that I have less dental enamel due to the formula, I think it's pretty aggressive.

I've heard of a story where a PKU mixed the formula with water and forgot about it and a few days later rediscovered it… of course he or she poured it into the drain and then the pipe bursted – But I'm not sure whether this is a PKU myth or not :-D

Katie xxx

http://thepkutreasurechest.wordpress.com/

Snuffles
    Participant

I lost a fair amount teeth whist first on the soultion of pku medication as it rotted the teeth  but luckliy,  the RCH [royal children's Hospital] Dentist or or likely a Mister, Lucus took care of the teeth I had…….I started off losing 4 sets of teeth. My fitith set was taken care by him until I was teens……18 yrs.

Now I still have my full set of teeth….. A few crowns and breaks  here and there. But I do my best to look after what adult teeth have left.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional