PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU eggplant burgers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jabberwocky

I’m inconveniently under 18, but that doesn’t mean I can’t cook, and I wanted to share recipe this with everyone on here.
    So. A few months ago I was trying to come up with a way to describe what tofu tastes like to “Dr. Duckers,” and I compared it to eggplant, because it soaks up the flavor of the sauce/spices it’s cooked with in a similar manner. Different texture, but no matter.
    I got to thinking, hey, if I said tofu was like eggplant, I bet I could cook it similarly. Since I’d just been experimenting with making my own tofu-burger type dish, I decided to try an eggplant burger.
    This is what I came up with:
    Get an eggplant and slice it into circular slabs about 1/2 inch thick. Use a fork to poke holes in each of them, so the sauce (which you’ll make in just a sec) can soak in.
    The sauce — you can vary this however you want, but this is what I’ve found tastes good:
    A little vineger nOlive oil nGround pepper nGarlic nSoy sauce (depending on your phe allowance – it’s fine without) nKetchup nMustard
    Or you can just be simpler about it and use barbeque sauce. I know the recipe list might sound disgusting, but it really does end up tasting good. Just don’t put too much vineger.
    So then you lay the circles of eggplant on a frying pan, coat them with sauce, and fry ‘em til they look done to you. Good in sandwiches or plain, and they’re way lower in phe than mushroom. Since making up this recipe I’ve had to give up soy, so I make these for myself, to replace soy products.
    Hopefully this post will be allowed even though I’m a whole 18 months too young to know any recipes. :-/

BreaMarie91

This sounds really good! I’m gonna make it sometimes…but like you unfortentually I’m under 18 AND I don’t have my drivers liscense or a car so I’ll have to wait until my mom can go shopping.

Dr_ Duckers

Mmmm! Eggplant burgers ARE the best! nJabberwocky came up with them, and cooked an awesome sandwich with ‘em. She’s the best…

Tracie_PKU

Sounds yummy!!!
    I will try anything.
    I use tofu alot.
    I marinate everything for extra flavor,and finish with an avacado salad.( nice and fattening).
    I also BBQ Zuccinni dogs. nThay aren’t bad at all.
    Any other recipes feel free to share. nThanks, nTracie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional