PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Finger Foods

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AceMommy

Hi…my son is almost 11 months old and I am having a hard time managing finger foods.  Baby foods seemed so much easier because they are pre-packaged and don't spoil.  I am having a hard time figuring out what to give him, how to prepare it, how to store it.  Any suggestions for managing this stage of eating?

I have tried cheerios and crackers, which he likes.  Smashed bananas and carrots which he didn't like so much:) And bits of apple.

I appreciate your help!

Cook4Love

At 11 months of age, Molly got very independent and wanted only foods she could eat herself.  Some foods she enjoyed:  pancakes, french toast , waffles, grilled cheese, mac and cheese (Aproten ditalini), veggie nuggets, different veggies diced up (broccoli and potatoes were always a big hit), pizza.  All were cut up in bite sized pieces for her, but between what she threw on the floor and smooshed all over the place it sure was tough calculating phe!  (Recipes on http://www.cookforlove.org)

Best of Luck!

Brenda 

AceMommy

Thank you Brenda!  I think he is ready to be more independent too…he is starting to refuse baby foods:)  The problem is that we are pretty sure he has very mild PKU and probably won't need low protein foods, however, he is still breastfeeding so we aren't exactly sure of he PHE tolerance.  I am having a hard time finding foods to give him and am not sure if I want to invest a lot of money in low protien foods right now?  Does anyone have suggestions on some good low protein foods to start out with from various companies?

gracie1605
    Participant

My son is now  19months and i wish i knew aout some of these when he was younger.

try some of these. you can get some or maybe most of them at your local organic or guidos type store i can get some at my local stop and shop in the organic sections

* baby mum-mum rice rusks are great too, perfect for 11 months about 5mg phe per rusk for the original(and they are wrapped in packs of 2 soo conveinient)

* so delicious coconut yogurt (he might not like it if you ahve to fee him but it is really good)

*small slices of follow your heart vegan cheese alternative( there are many flavors and the phe content is on the cook for love web page my son loves to just eat the cheese and i make mac and cheese with tomato with this he loves) you can probably go to you local organic food store and find some gluten free pasta that has 1 or 2 or 0 grams of protein in each serving. depending on yous sons tolerance. I just go to the store and start looking at the info on proteint and the serving size you can even get some bread in the freezer section alot fo guten free foods can be purchased as a local grocer but you might have to shop around and consult you dietition for some more phe content. I love the Glutino brand products like crackers and some cookies, pretzels that are really good and i am working on getting the exact phe content from my dietition, i will post when i get the info. 

You may want to get the pasta i would say out of all the low pro stuff  you can make so many meals and the little ones can feed themselves (although mess), myspecial diet.com ships free to the US if order is over 25 dollars and in some states u can get a reimbursement check.

I make my son past with cream of muchrooms condensed soon he loes, and reg pasta sause, and also soup with veg broth and small cooked veggies.

good luck

gracie1605
    Participant

I also fogot about the gerber finger foods your son can have like the puffs, wagon wheels and crunchies check out the web page pkuworld.webs.com there is a list of these and others or just do a search if u can't find it

2pkubabies

I have tried cooked and diced sweet potatoes and potatoes. The diced apples and carrots(Gerber) are good.  My son is not liking table food much at all because he still likes the smooth baby food. He just doesn't like the texture of finger foods yet.

lola
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional