PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! FIVE FOOD GROUPS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kmariewood

I AM THE MOTHER OF A 6 YEAR OLD BOY WITH PKU AT THE MOMENT THEY ARE LEARNING ABOUT THE FIVE FOOD GROUPS AT SCHOOL. MASTER 6 HAS NOW DECIDED HE DOSNT WANT TO EAT THE FOOD HE HAS TO EAT BECAUSE HIS TEACHER IS SAYING ITS NOT HEALTHY, MASTER SIX NOW WANTS TO EAT EVERY THING HES NOT ALLOWED TO EAT. IVE TRIED TALKING TO HIS TEACHER BUT HE IS JUST SAYING THAT IT IS PART OF WHAT HE HAS TO TEACH THE CHILDREN AND THERE IS NOTHING HE CAN DO ABOUT IT. ANYONE GOT ANY SUGESTIONS

BreaMarie91

You could try to express to your son how much is formula is important. When I was younger I remember girls at dance classes talking about learning all about the food groups (I didn’t begin school until 4th grade because I was homeschooled so I didn’t personally learn about that at the time). Express to him how his formula makes up for all the other foods that he isn’t eatting from the food groups that he can’t eat from.
    Maybe you could talk with his teacher and possibly see if he could take your son to the side and let him know that there are exceptions to the food group and he is one because he has is formula to help him grow. I guess this would depend how much your sons teacher knows about the food group. I really hope everything works out for you, just over all keep expressing to your son that his special diet will keep him healthy. nBreanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional