Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    rjharr

My 3 year old will not drink her formula out of a cup only a bottle because of the smell. she literaly gags when i try to get her to drink it out of a cup. has anyone else had this problem? my other 2 kids without pku were off the bottle as soon as they turned one. the only reason my youngest with pku is still drinking out of the bottle is because she has to have it and throws up if we give it to her out of the cup. we have tried adding strawberry mix, but still does not work. any suggestions? thanks

charlie_tc

Hi, I had to chuckle when I saw your post. I also had the same problem with my son. He was drinking his formula out of a bottle until he was 5 and 1/2. He finally stopped when he went to kindergarten. The clinic assured me this would probably happen. In the meantime I just tried not to make an issue of it. Better having them drink out of a bottle then not drink their formula at all. Have you ever tried getting her one of those cups with the built in straw? This might help if you haven’t tried it already. My daughter with PKU did this. She had no problem getting off the bottle as long as she had the cup and straw. Good luck and don’t worry. I promise you she won’t be going to highschool with that bottle. haha.

kzapiec

Sippy Cups work really well. We started using a sippy cup for formula at 12 months and it quickly became a great way to drink “shakey” – as we call it. She is now 2 1/2 takes all other liquids out of a regular cup but will actually ask for “shakey” 3 or 4 times a day – which we have pre-measured in the fridge in the sippy cups. Once she becomes too old for a sippy cup we’ll switch to sports bottles.

achristi

Hi my name is Anne I’m 29 and have PKU. I laughed when I read everyone’s stories my mom talks all the time how my brother and I drank our formula out of bottles until we were 4. I have to tell you from personal experience it’s the smell I still use a straw to drink my formula. Hope that helps. At least you don’t feel like the only one right?

carrie

hi my name is carrie n im 18. i remember i didnt stop drinking out of my bottle untill i was 4 years old. im not sure if i remember if it was the smell or the taste …prolly both. i do remember how embarassing it was i had to go into another room when i was outside of my home b/c i was worried of kids making fun of me. then i switched to a sippy cup with a lid untill i was prolly 10 or 11 now i just drink from a cup but i will not drink without a straw it to gross! so now reading other peoples stories i dont feel like such a loser now! its just normal for cool PKU people like us!

rjharr

yes, i feel much better! i can’t thank you enough for your responses. now i can quit worrying about it. i thought my daughter was the only one drinking her formula out of a bottle at age 3. i knew the reason why, so that is why i did not force her off. i have tried many times though(it was a nightmare)… and I have tried every sippy cup on the planet. nothing works for her. my other concern was her teeth.will her teeth be okay from staying on the bottle that long? thanks so much!!! blessings!

carrie

my teeth were fine. i mean i had braces n stuff but that had nothing to do with being in a bottle so long. so i dont think you have to worry much about that.

rjharr

okay.. thanks carrie. her teeth were one of my concerns.
    talk to you soon!

JohnCena

Hey I am A 14 Year OLd Male and i have PKU i always gaged when i had to drin my Formula but now im on Phealade They have all diffrent flavors choclate ,orange ,crean ,strawberry ect, it taste good and it has no smell

angelalewis

My 3 year old daughter will not drink formula. We started out with the PKU gel. I just adopted her from Russia and they do not have access to formula that we have here. The PKU gel was great. Three spoonfuls of “pudding” consistency and you are done. Unfortunately, state and insurance does not cover the PKU gel. I adapted the same idea to her unflavored Phenylade and only use a teaspoon of water to make a pudding consistency. I flavor it with banana flavoring. Still 3-4 spoonfuls and she is done. She considers it dessert after her meals. I was concerned that I was not mixing it with enough water but our dietician said it was fine. My daughter drinks a lot of water throughout the day.

BreaMarie91

I’m 15 and have PKU, I was off a bottle at about 2 1/2 but I had to keep drinking out of a sippy cup until I was about 7 or 8. It was partically because of the smell and also because sometimes there were chunks in the milk if we didn’t stir it good enough and then the bottle and sippy cups caught that. Actually to tell you the truth I just changed off of phenylade about a week ago but when I did drink phenylade I still had to atleast have a straw because I just hate the chunks! nBreanna

LpEkEu

Comming from a person with PKU i wouldn’t suggest adding any too much flavor into the formula. I’m 19 years old and what my parents did for me was, eveytime it was time for me to drink my formula, they would open the cap and have me smell it at first, just to get used to the smell. I know with your situation it is a little late for that, since there’s some gagging going on. As i started getting older, i hated the smell more and more, we tried the same thing, adding strawberry and even tried grape… YUCK..i vommited both times. Don’t try adding anything to the formula again… you should try doing what my parents did just to see if it works… dont hold it right under her nose.. just keep the top off every once in a while…im might help, it might not…but its worth a try..i know how your child feels.
    Good Luck !

BreaMarie91

Lol, wow after reading all these post I feel so much better. I don’t feel like the only freak who has to drink with a straw! I drank out of a bottle until I was maybe 4 and didn’t leave a sippy cup until I was like 7 (I was homeschooled until 4th grade so we didn’t have to worry about bringing sippy cups to school and stuff). But even after I got off a sippy cup I had to drink with a straw. Mostly because then the sippy cup and straws caught the chunks that were left after shaking it and only somewhat the smell.
    I’ve went from so many different formulas, I couldn’t find one I liked. I drank phenex 1 and 2 when I was little, then at like 4 switched the the like maxmade(can’t remember what it’s called) then at 7 until I now I went from phenylade strawberry, orange, back to strawberry then to chocolate, then phlexy-10 tropical juices then, then back to chocolate and phlexy 10 bars (and I might be forgetting a few ) And now I’m taking PKU cooler express and phenex chocolate chews. Yeah I know I’m probably the pickiest girl ever, but atleast I think I actually found one I like. Plus it comes in a little juice pouch so I can take it anywhere and just tell my friends it’s juice… techniqually it’s not really lying.

bbizzle24

I am a 31 year old male, my mom had the same problem with me when there was much less variety in formula. I drank from a bottle until I went to school…..the thing that worked for me was to mix the formula with lemonade. I would never drink it from a cup unless I used a straw. Something about the straw helped me get past the taste and smell. You grow into the taste as the years go by.
    Good luck

angelbabe

hi my name is angela i just turned 16. i have maternal pku. i dont really mind the taste or the smell of the formula. i drink it straight from a cup. i guess the reason for that is because i have been on the diet ever since i was like a day old so i dont really mind it that much anymore. i have had many different types of the formula though. first i had orange cream that was gross then i went to an unflavored formula i just mix sugar with that and now i drink chocolate phenylade at home and i drink pku coolers here at school that way no one will ask me what im drinking and i feel so much better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional