PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU Going vegan w/ PKU

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    musexnow

Okay, I know what you're thinking. Our diets are pretty much already vegan, but pretty much isn't good enough for me. I want to cut out everything that's not vegan. Since I've been taking that works for me I can have 30 exchanges (450 mg of phe) everyday I can get away with eating things with milk and eggs in it.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a committed vegan and how you deal with that.

JackofHearts

Well, I generally call myself vegetarian, not vegan, but yeah PKU is pretty vegetarian/vegan anyway, I just think of it as convenient.  I was thinking about going vegan, and I still might, but I don't see a particular reason.  If you don't mind, why did you decide to go straight vegan?  How are you dealing with it?

dominique

Hiya, I used to be vegan for a while and one of my best friends is as well. 

Basically cut out any dairy products (so milk and eggs, like you said). I use rice milk or soy milk instead, which are both lower in protein than regular milk. Any by-products of milk are also out: cheese, butter, cream. Margarine usually tastes just as good (and again, lower in protein). Check any lollies you're eating in case they contain gelatine, which is made out of animal waste products (hooves, horns, etc). Check most ingredients for animal by-products like gelatine. Here is a list of E numbers that are not suitable for vegans http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/non-vegetarian-food-additives.htm

Some vegans also choose to eliminate honey but I think it is for reasons of ownership rather than animal cruelty. 

The other thing you need to watch is a lot of vegan recipes contain really high levels of protein through nuts, beans, lentils and tofu. Always ask about what ingredients are used or whether what you're eating is derived from nuts/beans/tofu. 

And, if you're going vegan for animal cruelty reasons, remember it extends past your diet into products like leather. Buying synthetic leather vegan shoes and handbags will also help your cause :) 

Anonymous

Hey!

I can have 325mg of phe per day, so that pretty much cuts out all real bread and dairy stuff. I commute to college and I find it easiest to bring my lunch… As you probably know, a lot of lo-pro foods don't travel well, so I usually try to bring some kind of sandwich… they're easiest to count. Cucumber's my favorite. Ummmm….. what's your phe tolerance? If it's higher I'm sure that can help with your options.

Good Luck!

^ v ^

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional