PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU has anyone herd of the new blood testing device?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    gotpku1992

it’s supposed to be a kinda big box like thing that somehow records your blood level in approx. 5 mins. i herd of it in a PKU magazine, but ever since, nothing has been said about it, and it really bigs me cus that would REALLY help improve my life! has anyone herd anything about it?

BreaMarie91

My mom had mentioned that they were trying to make something like that but that is all I heard, but yeah that would be cool. nBreanna

GotPKU

i think it come out in a year! uhh i hate having to wait for the results. im allways anxious to find out what they are, my last result was the best i ever had! i was really happy! it was 100, which i think is a bit low! but oh well, if i keep it up, i might be able to have more grams of protein! YAY!lol

BreaMarie91

I was just wondering where your levels are supposed to be at because someone said when you do bloodtests sometimes they are counted different (like phes and exchanges and protien are used to count food except this is with your blood level) my levels are supposed to be between 2 and 6 nBreanna

macaoz

Here is the feedback I got from Richard D. Shunnarah, MetGen, Incorporated with respect to the Self Monitoring device for PKU Patients (TI Alert Story – Medical Devices and Healthcare Providers Newsletter Vol 3 Issue 2)
    nMay 26th 2006:
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    MetGen

BreaMarie91

Does anyone know if it will take the same amount of blood or if it will be less or what?

GotPKU

I count my blood in Micromolecules. i have to be DEFINANTLY under 400, ( i rearly am, oops!) and around 250 is perfect. what do you count in? your results seem so much easier, im gonna start trying to convert into the American system of PKU. Someone once said your supposed to count the protein in apples. do you ever? For fruits, unless they have mega seeds (strawberries, rasberries, etc.) i only count bannana’s. Also since you don’t count in grams, how do you convert the amount of protein from the back of packages? (nutritional information)

BreaMarie91

Actually to tell you the truth I’m not sure what my levels are counted in, I’ve never actually asked but all I know is my they are supposed be between 2 and 6 in whatever they count. Grr! Now that’s going to bug me that I don’t know, I’m gonna have to ask my dietian . We actually have a phe book that has a huge list of foods and how much phe they contain, do you have a book like this? Anyway I have to look foods up in there and it will tell how much phes the food has. And I really don’t count fruits accept bananas and things like necturines (I think those are the other fruit I eat alot of that has alot of phes in it). nBreanna

GotPKU

how much PHE do you count necterines as? Yeah, i do kinda have that ‘book’ my diatretion ( i can’t spell that, lol) printed one out, but i hardly use it. i just look up protein in the nutrientional information on the back of the food packeges. i just looked at my old results, and i think you count in milligrams/L. wicked, my levels don’t look so disasterous when i look at it like that!!!! since september 2005, lowest level has been 1.7, my highest has been 14.5, and my best has been 4.7. im normally high, but recently iv’e been getting better.

BreaMarie91

I think necturines are about 40 or 45 phes but I’d have to look it up since I can’t remember because I haven’t eatten them in awhile. I think my highest in awhile has been around 13 and my lowest was maybe 4 I don’t know exactly what it was right now. Our trouble is that we always forget to do the bloodtest every month like we’re supposed to.

GotPKU

wow, your good! from now on im gonna do everything the american way! wish me luck!, i gotta go and try to find something for lunch!

BreaMarie91

Lol, trust me I’m not that good. Hey if you come back on do you know if Jello is free? because we have some and I was going to make it for my younger sisters but I couldn’t find in the phe book home many phes it is.

GotPKU

jello is free?? JOY TO THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BreaMarie91

No I was asking if jello was free, because I wasn’t sure and was going to make some for my little sisters but I decided not to until I decide to look it up in the phe book (lol I’m being lazy right now and don’t want to get up to look) But when I do find out how many phes are in it and if it’s free I’ll let you know.

GotPKU

yeah, i thought it might have Gelatin in it, but im not sure. In England there is a kind of jelly i was allowed, but i can’t remember what it’s called. oh well. i havn’t had a doctors appt. in ages (sry really random) but it’s been a year i thing! (not good) oh well. I hate ordering food through my doctors, it allways takes AGES to come!!!!! it’s really annoying! i still havn’t gotten half of the food i ordered (as i allready said) almost a year ago. it sucks, it was the good stuff that didn;t come either! have you herd of chocitas? (or something like that) they do have protein in them, but there really good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional