PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Having Children

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #4416
    Avatar of PATRICK
    englum_06
    Member

    “PKU and the other causes of hyperphenylalaninemia are inherited in a recessive fashion. This means an affected person inherited two traits for the disorder (e.s., one from neach parent). A person with one trait for the disorder, is
    called a ‘carrier’ for PKU. Carriers do not have symptoms of the disorder”
    I know of someone who has been very worried about having children. In this article it seems to say that in order for the child to develop PKU, both parents must be carriers. Is this true or can the child still develop PKU if his or her mother has PKU.
    Im fairly new to the whole PKU, so any information is appreciated.

    #4446
    Avatar of Breanna
    BreaMarie91
    Member

    From what my dietian told me your right. I think both parents have to be a carrier (or have PKU) but last time I checked the chances of having PKU was like 1 out of everyone 14,000 babies (am I right? I’m only 15 so I’m not positive.

    #4451

    I am a thirty-four year old mom of a beautiful three year old daughter who does not have PKU like I do. When I was pregnant in 2002 the docotrs all agreed that she would be carrier if she was not born with PKU. They also said that there was a seventy-five percent chance that she could have PKU anyway, even if my husband was not a carrier, because I have it. She was born without PKU and eats enough for both of us! We finally get our moneys worth at a buffet! Hope this helps.

    #4485
    Avatar of nadine
    nadine_29
    Member

    hi! janiekflemming
    i’ve read what you had to say and i was impress to see what i read …i am a 29 year old i was pregant in the year 2000 .when i had to abort my baby because at that time i was not following my diet and the doctors said that my baby was going to be handicap so i had that big dicision to make and it was really painful and still is today cause i want children.
    i was wondering if you could just give me a few advice ?
    have you always been on your diet trought out your life ? nand was it hard being pregant like the food wise ?? ni am sure you and your husband is really happy with your little girl ..i just want to know if there is still hopes for me even tho i had trouble in the pass ? cause it has been really hard for me trought the years i would like to know how you maid it ???? i would really appriciated …..
    thanks and hope to hear from you …..nadine

    #7730
    Avatar of Sue
    suepkutalks
    Member

    I have just read the messages left and would like to say that because pku is a genetic disorder there is a one in four chance in every pregnancy that a baby will be a pku, there are 2 in four chances of being a carrier and another 1 in four chances of not being either (pku or carrier) as with all genetic disorders. Parents as carriers pass on one gene each to the baby, therefore if both defective genes are passed on this creates a baby with pku. If the baby is passed on one defective gene from one parent and a non- defective gene from the other, the baby is a carrier (this works two ways, with the defective gene and non-defective gene of both parents), the last way is that the baby recieves both non-defective genes from both parents, this means that they are not pku or a carrier of the condition.
    I hope this is of help.

    #7796
    Avatar of Tracie
    Tracie_PKU
    Member

    Hi Everyone, nJust an FYI.I have 3 sisters,and i was the only one with PKU in our family.
    I have a beautiful daughter who will be 11yrs old.She does not have PKU,but she is considered a carrier.
    I’ll be honest i was so scared of having a child just because of my PKU so i decided to marry a dark skinned person.
    I was so lucky to find my husband.He is Native American,and my daughter is absolutly beautiful. nMy husband and i will be celebrating our 15 yr anniversary in July 2009.
    I decided to marry this way cause my Dr. kept telling me that it(PKU)was more common in light skinned persons.Or blonde/red heads.
    I thought that was amazing,but i didn’t want to take that chance.For myself it was a great decision.
    Thanks for listening, nTracie-PKU

    #7797
    Avatar of Meaghan
    mayrogers13
    Member

    You are absolutely correct. nTo have PKU both parents must be carriers. It is a recessive trait. I will break the odds down for you.
    If both parents are non carriers:
    No chance of PKU
    If one parent is a carrier and one non carrier: nChild has a 50% of being a carrier, 50% chance of being non carrier
    If both parents are carriers: nChild has a 50% of being a carrier, 25% chance of being non carrier, 25% chance of having PKU
    If one parent has PKU and one non carrier: nAll children will have a 100% of being carriers
    If one parent has PKU and one is a carrier: nChild has 50% chance of being a carrier, 50% chance of having PKU
    If both parents have PKU: nAll children will have PKU
    I hope I was able to help you. nMae

    #8504
    Avatar of medina
    medina2009
    Participant

    some cosultants said to us this disease relates to a family mariage. but not only  my husband and I are not relatives,

    but also we are from two different cities. this malady never exists in our family. but I dont understand why my baby took it?

    #8505
    Avatar of Nicole
    Nicole1982
    Member

     Hi…

    I am a 27 year old mummy and i have 2 gorgeous girls who dont have PKU.  Both parents will have to be Carriers and pass the pku gene for a baby to have PKU.  Although my girls dont have PKU they both are carrier's to the PKU gene.

    Nicole x

    #8518
    Avatar of Breanna
    BreaMarie91
    Member

    Medina,

    Someone must have two PKU genes in order to have PKU.

    You and your husband do not have PKU, but you are what are called carriers. Carriers have one PKU gene and one normal gene. Because your child got a PKU gene from you and a PKU gene from your husband, they have a total of two PKU genes and therefore they have PKU.

    If you have another child you have a 1/4 or 25% chance of having a PKU child (you each pass on a PKU gene), a 1/2 or 50% chance that your child will be a carrier like you and your husband (one PKU gene from one parent and a normal gene from the other parent), and a 1/4 or 25% chance that they will receive two normal genes and not be a carrier or have PKU.

    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Breanna 18 CPKU

    #8687
    Avatar of Jack
    Kylaen
    Member

    Quick question: I read that a pku man's semen has huge levels of “phe”, dangerous for a pku woman. Can I as a non-pku man endanger a pku woman with my semen? Does my semen have large phe levels too? I don't think I'm a carrier.

    #8700
    Avatar of Malany
    Glassie2010
    Member
    Kylaen wrote…

    nQuick question: I read that a pku man's semen has huge levels of phe, dangerous for a pku woman. Can I as a non-pku man endanger a pku woman with my semen? Does my semen have large phe levels too? I don't think I'm a carrier.

    From what I can gather Male semen is made from amino acids, I'm guessing if a Male PKU has high levels of Phe in their semen, then normal men's semen will also have phe in it. I am not sure how much though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional