Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KristiKon

So I’ve been tossing the idea around for quite some time now about doing Ashley’s blood tests at home. After chickening out a few times, I decided to just suck it up and do it. Her last appointment was the worst ever as far as the torture she went through for the nurse to finally get her blood. I figure I can’t do much worse! My question is about the depth the needle should go in…I bought one of those softclix pens that lets you dial in the depth (like diebetics use), but I have no idea where to even begin with that. She’s almost 14 months old and I need enough blood to get at least three good drops. The lancets I bought are 25 guage. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!
    –Kristi

cjqa2007

Its been awhile since I did it at home with my son and now I am back to doing it again at 6 years old. We have disposable ones right now though. Anyhow when my son was that young I had the same type that you have and if I remember correctly I used the 2nd lowest setting to not get too deep. The key to getting good blood flow for him is getting the area warm first. If I get his finger warm now we are done in a few seconds as opposed to squeezing and squeezing to get the blood out. nGood luck

KristiKon

Thanks for the input. I’m pleased to announce that (after months of being a big chicken) I have successfully taken Ashley’s blood at home and we got the results back today. I don’t know what I was so scared about…it was way less traumatizing then when they do the veinipuncture at the clinic. There was a little trial and error involved this first time, but the next time should be a piece of cake No more torture at the clinic!!! You people have no idea what a happy camper I am right now!
    –Kristi

HappyMom

Good Job! nWe have been doing Easton’s blood tests at home since he was an infant. Blood tests are no fun for parents or the kids but it is definately less stressful than going to the doctor’s office. Easton is two now and we do the finger pokes. I have an OneTouchUltra lancets and pen. I think we have it on the fourth setting out of eight on the dial for lancet depth.
    Sarah

BreaMarie91

Hey Kristi glad to hear you did Ashley’s blood test!
    For the longest time we used just lancets (we had to manually poke like you would do if you poked yourself with a sewing needle and it was torture). Then when I started high school and wanted to attempt to do blood tests on my own we got an Accu Check poker that’s used for people with diabetes, but I had to litertally poke myself sometimes 5 times. We’re in the process of finding new lancets now because the ones my clinic were providing for awhile (which were amazing lancets) are being discontinued now !
    Anybody got any suggestions for lancets? Because we have like 3 left…and we’ve got two in our family with PKU…and I’m doing weekly levels because of Kuvan. So we’ve got very little time to find new lancets. nBreanna

KristiKon

I just used the lancets that came with the pen. I had bought some generic brand that were 25 guage b/c I remember somebody telling me that was a good size, and they were supposed to be “universal” and fit in any of the pens, but they didn’t fit the pen that I bought. The lancets that came with the pen were much, much thinner, so it took a few tries to get enough blood (changing the setting each time). I’m still going to try to find one that it a little thicker and that will fit our pen, so we only have to poke her one time next time.

HappyMom

HI Brea,
    I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant with Easton so I got the whole One Touch Ultra blood testing setup from our local pharmacy. I still have the pen and the lancets and that is what we use for Easton’s tests. You can adjust the depth of the poke. A friend of ours has a son who is 4 and he has juvenile diabetes and that is the brand they use also. I’m not sure of the gauge of the lancets but I bet you can get different sizes.
    Sarah

BreaMarie91

Thanks you guys! I’ll pass that info onto my mom, since she’s the one who will have to buy the lancets in the end. Sarah, we do have some diabetic pokers somewhere around my house. We have an Accu Check on, but it takes like 5 pokes to get enough blood even on the highest gauge. And my mom has one that she used when she was pregnant with Erica (my sister who also has PKU) because she had gestational diabetes too. I just don’t know where that one is, so I can’t try that one to see if it works. nBreanna

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional