PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Help, Please! (New to this)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

My one month old was diagnosed with PKU and is now sick and her phe levels have spiked. I asked the dietician what I can give her to help prevent dehydration..was told to ask my child's pcp, BUT was told that pedialyte is out of the question. What can I use?
    I have to admit, this whole thing is freaking me out because I don't understand it or know what is ok and what is dangerous…

beckyboo
    Participant

If your baby is a baby and you want to keep her hydrated you should do what you would do with any other baby and give her plenty of water?! Unless I am missing something? 

Thanks, Beckyboo! I did that and it really helped. I guess I am hyper-sensitive this time around. I don't want to give her something that could harm her and I am so new to all of this that I have no clue what all I need to avoid or limit. I don't want to overdo it though… 

Georgina
    Participant

You should not get worry about small things!Remember it is never easy to face with something you do not know what it is!Just remember a little advice I learned from myself… keeping the diet strict until the age of 14 is the most essential thing to do!Because until that age the brain develops and is critical to have a healthy diet that period. When your baby will grow up you will see that it will have no problem as epilepsy,etc. 

ctrnofear
    Participant

I know this might sound silly, when I was an infant my mother ended up using kool-aid for me.  it was the hardest thing for her, she said she had tears going down her face having to feed that to me.

But, hey.  it worked, im 30 now and mostly healthy!

take care wish you the best

Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional